Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tubes and Ear Issues :o)

Today was our day. We started off with feeding the kids Jello for breakfast. Their ENT was not available for surgery until the afternoon so they could not eat any regular food after Midnight. I must say that they both handled their diet of Jello, Apple Juice and Sprite fairly well this morning. Micah started getting a little fussy just before it was time for surgery. Micah was first, his surgery of getting tubes was fast and before we knew it Dr Muntz was back in the waiting room to come let us know that Micah was done and that he had done great.
He didn't want to drink anything at first because he does not like the nipples the hospital uses on their bottles. However, as soon as we put it in his bottle he drained the sugar water they gave him and threw his bottle in protest that there was no more in it. After that point he was NOT happy unless he had juice in his bottle or a graham cracker in his cute chubby little hands.

He was able to be discharged rather quickly and they moved us over to Makayla's room to wait for her to get out of surgery.


Now we didn't really know what Makayla's surgery was going to end up being. We knew that he was going to irrigate both ear drum's and place a new tube in each ear. We also knew that he was going to lift the ear drum in her right ear to explore the middle ear to see what is causing her decreased hearing. From what I have been able to gather there are three very small bones in the middle ear that help you be able to process sounds. The ENT was worried that scar tissue had grown over the bones or that the frequency of her ear infections had damaged the bones in some way which would mean a more extensive surgery to repair the bones. This would mean making an incision behind the ear to get to the bones and an overnight stay at the hospital.

So you can imagine the joy of hearing that there was a thin layer of scar tissue over the bones that they were able to remove and that they tested the ear bones and they reacted correctly! And because they did not have to operate on the ear bones we would be able to take her home today. WHEW. Relief. Joy. Then concern when Dr Muntz explains that the amount of scar tissue would not explain the hearing loss. But that scar tissue combined with the hole in the ear drum was the most likely cause. OK this I can handle.

They had to pack the inside of her right ear to help everything heal which makes sounds muffled on that side. So if you talk to her remember that she most likely will not be able to hear you through her right ear for about 6 weeks. After that I am hoping that it will be much more clear for her ;o)

Makayla was pretty nauseated at first but they gave her some anti-nausea medication that made her fall asleep for a little bit then when she woke up she felt lots better. We got to leave the hospital at 7:00. Micah was getting pretty restless toward the end - I cant say that I blame him - and we took lots of walks around the hospital. The fabulous nurses let us use a wagon to keep him entertained.

Both kids were pretty excited for the wagon ride out to the car. I am so grateful for my amazing husband who was a HUGE help today. I could not have done it without his support and love for our family. And I must say that I was pretty calm and collected, which is unusual for me as I am a cry baby. I know it is because of the beautiful blessings given to the kids the night before. I knew that they were in good hands and that the Lord was going to be there with them. I feel so blessed and happy that I have the gospel in my life and to be able to enjoy the calming blessing of the spirit when I need it most.


When we got home Makayla got to sit in her favorite spot on the Love Sac and she stayed there pretty much until bed time. She seems to be feeling much better and I hope that tomorrow is a much better day for her. I am so proud of Makayla. She was so brave and happy today even when she didn't feel very good. And because of the Pre Surgery class she was not scared to go into the OR and I spoke with a nurse that said that she just looked around at all of the equipment in the OR with a smile on her face until she fell asleep. So here is my advice for the day. If your child is having surgery at Primary Children's have them go to that class. It made this experience so much better for Makayla and our family! Thank you everyone for your concern, thoughts, and prayers they are much appreciated.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad to hear everything went well! What little troopers!