Today I am a basket full of emotions.
Anxiety
Guilt
Happiness
Hope
Frustration
Love
It has been confusing. We went to the ENT today and found out that both kids need tubes in their ears. No big deal - we have been there and done that before. This time is different. We have never really known what has caused Makayla's speech delay. I think now we know. We have not really gotten a good hearing test out of her, never a total conclusive test anyway. This year we found the range of sounds that she is unable to hear and it was confirmed again today. There is something in her middle ear that is not functioning properly especially in her right ear. So when they go in to do her tubes they will rinse or irrigate out the ear drum and then they are going to go under the ear drum to see if there is any scar tissue or if the ear bone needs to be built up. So the 10 minute tube surgery is now going to be an hour and a half with the chance that she will have to stay overnight for observation.
I am so grateful for the technology and knowledge that we get to utilize. We have picked a fantastic doctor and our kids are in great hands. I just feel horrible as a parent that it has taken us until Makayla is 5 1/2 to get her ears figured out. But I am totally hopeful for the outcome. Even if this surgery is not successful at helping her hearing we now know that a hearing aid my be helpful as well. I feel like we got a good start today and just look forward to seeing Makayla develop into the wonderful and beautiful daughter she is. I don't know what I would do without my two great kids!

No comments:
Post a Comment