Monday, June 6, 2011

Anxious!!!

I am getting a post together that will show off Makayla's hearing aides! I have been trying to decide how to do it but in the mean time ...

Makayla is doing so much better since we chose to get her hearing aides. Her speech and hearing have improved greatly, however, she is still way behind in her learning and language. She gets so frustrated and it is hard to see your child go through that. Even though we have been actively trying all we can I still blame myself for not doing enough. I feel like I failed her as a mother. A hard situation all around.

We were contacted by a Speech teacher from the district who specializes with kids who are hearing impaired. She was concerned that she will have a hard time catching up in the current pattern of her education. She gets pulled out of class for resource and for speech class. So needless to say she misses a lot of time with her peers in her class room. And in 1st grade next year they are planning on increasing time in both extra classes. We learned that there is a hearing impaired class at the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind, and that she may qualify for the program. She would be taught in a language rich environment for her core curriculum by teachers who are highly trained to deal with children with hearing loss.

I went and toured the classroom and met the teacher and Principal of the program. I am in LOVE!! It would be perfect. They did all the testing required to see if she can go to school there next year. Now I have to wait until Friday to have a meeting to see if she qualifies and get a recommendation from like 7 people!

Needless to say I am ANXIOUS! I never wish that she would do poorly on a test but this time I kind of do because that would mean she will get the one on one attention she desperately needs. I will update on Friday once I know what is going on...

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Awe -- you are a GREAT mother! You are doing the right thing for her. I'm excited to see how the school pans out!! Keep us posted! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Luke and Nina said...

Don't ever feel like you are a bad mother...even though that is what us moms do best! I will be praying that she can get into that school! What a cute little girl.