Saturday, October 23, 2010

Unexpected!

Well if you don't know our little boy Micah has had a sensitive tummy ever since he was born. While I was nursing him I couldn't eat or drink any dairy products or I paid for it with a screaming baby later. When we switched to formula he did ok on regular formula. Once we tried to trade the formula to whole milk at a year, his tummy did not enjoy that. So he drinks lactose free milk and has done great.


However, we tried a new brand of lactose free milk and the poor thing got 1st degree burns on his cute little bum! I couldn't believe it. And he is showing a sensitivity to eggs too. UGH! So we got him into an allergist office to see what foods he can eat and which we should avoid. He was tested for foods, airborne allergens, and animals and the skin test showed only one severe allergy.


can you guess what it is ...



Peanuts!



Holy crap, my baby has a peanut allergy. We went and had blood drawn so they can check for a dairy allergy too. Sad day for my family who eats peanut butter sandwiches a few times a week. No more Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, trail mix, etc. Ok so maybe the candy wont be such a bad thing - not that we always have it but it is Halloween season! And I am amazed now that I have paid attention at how many products either have peanuts in them or are processed at a facility where peanuts are processed too. I guess I am reading labels religiously now! Yikes. His doctor recommended Sun butter that is made from sunflower seeds so I will let you know how it tastes when we get some.

No comments: