Friday, July 8, 2011

Perspective

The Websters Dictionary describes perspective as:

The capacity to view things in their true relations or relative importance.

Lately my focus has been slightly inward. I have been worried about so many different things and I have lost sight of what really matters. I suppose I had a pity party with myself. Worried about my kids, and Makayla's hearing problems, Micah's allergies. While I never asked "why us" I did not really ever look at it in the Eternal Perspective.

Heavenly Father will NEVER give us something that we can't handle. I suppose I have to learn this lesson every few years because I have already had a huge Aha moment when Makayla was a baby and just got one again :o)

When Makayla was not walking and we had physical therapy a few times a week and it was a fight everyday to get her to do anything other than crawl I found myself comparing her to other kids. I would point out kids that were around her age that were walking around and say Hey Makayla see those kids you need to walk like them. It wasn't until I heard another mother point to Makayla and say to her daughter (that was army crawling on her tummy) "do you see that little girl, you should crawl like her."

In that moment I learned that we all move at our own pace in all things. There is always another situation that is worse than yours and as frustrating as your trials can be at sometimes we have them for a reason. My most recent AHA moment was when I found out that an adorable little boy in our ward has a brain tumor that has required surgery and now months of chemo and radiation treatments. Their family will be in the hospital for 3 weeks at a time.

Really ... I was worried about food allergies and hearing aides ...

Eternal Perspective

I recently taught a lesson in Young Women's about this subject. There is a quote from Joseph Smith that I loved

"The nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin."
How wonderful that day will be. I had an amazing spiritual experience at work. Working for the Church has good benefits like a work environment that encourages the Spirit. I do not have the most glamorous job - cleaning bathrooms - but it is in a beautiful building. I get to clean a bathroom that is in a limited access hallway, and it just happens to be the restroom that the Prophet uses when he visits the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. The building recently turned 100 years old and they had a big celebration. President Monson spoke and the Tabernacle choir performed and they had a fancy dinner. We had a training that day and so we were behind in our duties so we had to hurry to get everything done. While the stress level mounted and I was worrying if Makayla was going to get accepted to her school I entered that hallway. It felt like I walked into a wall of the Spirit. I started crying instantly and was prompted by the Spirit that the Prophet had walked in that hallway that day. Next to being in the Temple it was the best spiritual experience of my life. The sweet calming influence of the Spirit helped me know that everything was going to work out, the stress melted away and I knew that by putting faith and trust in the Lord all things will be ok in time. What a huge blessing.

I keep trying to keep this attitude alive daily and when it gets hard I try to remember my many Aha moments and hope that I don't have too many more of them.

No comments: